Monday, September 3, 2012

Standard 4: Experimental Design

Standard 4: Experimental Design

During my research I have found some very interseting facts. From the Corn expriment and the trials I conducted the corn grows better with low infestation. With the high infestation the kernal yeild was less than with the low infestation. My controlled variable in the first 2 trials is the low infestatin. In my third and forth trial my controlled varible is the is the high infestation. During my expriment I used the super harvest in the first two trials. After using the super harvest I used the low infestation again in the first two trials after the corn machine grew the corn for 140 days. After all the corn was grown ( there were 3 stalks total) I indevudualized each stalk to its own weigh boat. After they were seprate in the weigh boats I weighed them and the results are in the table. I did the same with the third and forth trial. My end results were very diffrent from the first two. My kernals weighed less then compared to the first two trials. The corn lab showed me the importance of staying with ONE controlled variable for each trial. I was very suprised with the end averages.

Trial 1
Trial 2
Super Harvest_ non bt corn
Super Harvest_ non bt corn
ECB Infestation= Low
ECB Infestation= Low
1. 159.1
1. 135.4
2. 155.0
2. 139.6
3. 157.5
3. 179.6
Average: 157.2
Average: 172


Trial 3
Trial 4
Super Harvest_ non bt corn
Super Harvest_ non bt corn
ECB Infestation= high
ECB Infestation= high
1. 135.4
1. 155.1
2. 139.6
2. 163.0
3. 138.3
3. 163.9
Average: 137.766667
Average: 160.666667

My resource and lab work http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/BL_01/BL_01.html

 HOW SCIENCE WORKS
Scientists engage in many diffrend activites in many diffrent steps and diffrent sequences. Scientific investigators often envolve repeating some of the same steps to gather new information.

The scientific process is based off of theories or hypothesis's and exprimenting. With those theories scientists can conduct expriments and you may have to test them agian.. First you have to gather your information, ideas and data then you can test them throgh expriments. With expriments scientists can find new information and then test those new ideas again. With those you do the finial step which is explore and discover new testing information.

Sciene in socity is now helping with finding new ways to help people by giveing a cure for diseases or a new vaciene. Science has also given us new technology. With out science we wouldn't have what we have today, the new medicine, cell phones, computers etc.. Having science in our life and knowing how science works and what it has done for us is great .

My resources http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/howscienceworks_01



1 comment:

  1. I think you had a good experiment but it really doesn't make sense. The way you worded some of the sentences was wrong. Other than that you have a good experiment.

    ReplyDelete